Home Solana Beach Family Law Child Custody and Visitation

Solana Beach Child Custody and Visitation Attorneys

Protecting Your Relationship With Your Children in Solana Beach

Solana Beach is a coastal city of approximately 13,000 residents with a median household income of $120,313 as of 2019. Schools in the area include two K-12 private schools, seven elementary schools in the Solana Beach School District, and schools in the San Dieguito Union High School District.

Divorce in Solana Beach can be a traumatic experience for parents and children alike. One of the most important matters to resolve when parents separate is child custody and visitation. Your best course of action is to have an experienced family law attorney representing you to protect your rights and your child’s best interests.

Back to Top

What Is Child Custody?

Child custody refers to the rights and responsibilities in taking care of children. Family law judges in Solana Beach award two types of custody:

  • Legal custody: This refers to who makes important decisions for the child regarding his or her health, education, and welfare.
  • Physical custody: This establishes who the child lives with most of the time.

Both legal and physical custody can be joint – shared between both parents -- or sole – awarded to one parent only. When the court awards sole physical custody to a parent, the other parent typically has visitation rights, unless it is not in the child’s best interests.

Back to Top

What Factors Do Judges Consider in Determining Child Custody?

Family court judges in Solana Beach take a number of factors into consideration in making custody decisions, including:

  • Age of the child
  • Health and safety of the child
  • Where each parent resides
  • Stability of the environment each parent can provide
  • Ability of each parent to provide emotional support for the child
  • Relationship the child has with each parent
  • Impact a change in the status quo would have on the child
  • Any custodial arrangements previously made for siblings
  • Expressed desires of the child, depending on age
  • Any history of child abuse or substance abuse

Back to Top

How Do Visitation Agreements Work in Solana Beach?

Child visitation is called parenting time in California. Four different types of parenting time orders are issued by the courts:

  • Reasonable: This is an open-ended order that allows parents to work out a visitation schedule between them, depending on their own schedules and the child’s schedule. Reasonable visitation works best when parents can be flexible, communicate well, and get along with each other.
  • Scheduled: A set, detailed schedule specifying what dates and times a child will be with each parent can help avoid conflict regarding visitation. The schedule may include holidays, vacations, birthdays, and other important dates to the family.
  • Supervised: When the court has concerns about the child’s well-being and/or safety, supervised visitation may be ordered. A parent is allowed visitation with the child under the supervision of the other parent, another adult, or a professional agency.
  • No visitation: If the court determines that visiting with a parent would be physically or emotionally detrimental to the child, it may issue a no visitation order.

Back to Top

How Can a Solana Beach Family Law Attorney Help You Achieve the Most Favorable Outcome?

If child custody is in dispute, our skilled Solana Beach family law attorney can help you show the court that it is in your child’s best interests to live with you more than the other parent. We can assist you in providing testimony and documentary evidence at a child custody hearing showing how you will parent the child if awarded primary physical custody. We may also help you bring to the court’s attention any flaws you perceive in the parenting abilities of the other parent.

Our Solana Beach child custody and visitation attorneys at Mattis Law, A.P.C. can provide quality family law representation in child custody matters. Contact us at (858) 328-4400 to find out how we can help.

Back to Top

(858) 328-4400